The application period for the 2023-24 Discover Year has now ended.
Our application period for the 2024-25 year will open in November 2023.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Thank you for your interest in Discover Year! Before applying, please visit our Admissions Criteria page to review our admissions criteria, application deadlines, and program costs. Once you have reviewed this information, please follow the steps below to submit your application.
All documents below should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or in hard copy to:
Discover Year – Admissions
1716 Bellechasse Pl.
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Step 2: Personal Statement
Please write a personal statement of approximately 800-1000 words outlining the following:
- Why you want to participate in the Discover Year program
- The aspect(s) of the program that appeal to you the most and why
- How you exemplify the traits we look for in candidates (team player, curiosity, open-mindedness, integrity, and positive attitude), with concrete examples from past or present experiences
- Your personal qualities that you believe will have a positive impact on other Discover Year students and our community
Please submit your personal statement to email@example.com or in hard copy to the address above.
Step 3: Letters of Reference
Please submit two confidential letters of reference explaining why you would be a strong addition to the Discover Year program. You should have one reference from each of the following two categories:
- Academic: Teacher, coach, counsellor, school administrator, etc.
- Personal: Any adult outside of your family (e.g., community group leader, family friend, employer, volunteer supervisor, etc.)
Both referees should also complete a Reference Form. (Please download or print this form and ask your referees to include it with their letters of reference.)
Both letters of reference and the completed Reference Forms should be sent directly from the referee to Discover Year at firstname.lastname@example.org or in hard copy to the address above.
Step 4: Interview
Our Admissions Committee will select candidates to be interviewed based on an assessment of their personal statement and references. The purpose of the interview is to assess applicants on the following:
1. Knowledge of the program (does the applicant understand the purpose and structure of the Discover Year program?)
2. Motivation to participate in the program (what is the applicant hoping to get out of their Discover Year?)
3. Demonstration of the necessary personal characteristics to participate effectively (does the participant actively display the traits – curiosity, openness, integrity, teamwork and a positive outlook – required to be successful in Discover Year’s structure?)
Step 5: Accept Your Offer!
Our Admissions Committee will issue Letters of Offer to all applicants who have been admitted to Discover Year. To reserve your place in the program, you will be asked to confirm your offer of admission and submit a non-refundable deposit of $1,100.
Step 6: Apply for Financial Aid (if eligible)
Discover Year is pleased to offer a bursary program to Canadian citizens whose household income is below Canada’s low income cut-off (LICO). Please visit our Financial Aid page to see if you’re eligible.
If eligible for financial aid, you will need to submit the following documents once you’ve been accepted into the program:
- A copy of most recent T451E (Notice of Assessment) OR three consecutive pay stubs of all working parents/guardians in your immediate family
- A letter of endorsement from a member of the community (on official letterhead) testifying to the applicant’s financial need. The letter must indicate the applicant’s family size, including number of dependents.
Please send these documents to email@example.com or in hard copy to the address above.